Property Under Contract - Open Homes Cancelled
"DOOBAWAH", Aboriginal meaning for a vast expanse of water' is surrounded by magnificent gum trees and situated on a prime 1222 square metres of absolute bay frontage with spectacular bay views of Stradbroke and Moreton Islands.
One of Queensland's most notable homes, it was built in 1884 by auctioneer John Cameron who was attracted by the beautiful surroundings to build a house for his family and 6 children. It was originally sited on nearly 30 acres of land adjacent to the historic Ormiston House and was one of only a few farming houses on the waterfront.
This magnificent residence has hosted many celebrations and in more recent times was chosen for the location for a US TV commercial and was featured in a documentary about heritage homes.
The upstairs is the original part of the house and features 3.3m ceilings, long, wide covered verandas with kwila hardwood flooring and original balustrading. An enclosed sunroom adjoining a large kitchen (with granite benchtop) features crows ash timber flooring and large windows providing natural light and warmth and original VJ walls. The upstairs also includes the original dining room which has been converted into a large 2 level media room, a billiard room, formal sitting room, main bedroom and huge en-suite with travertine tiling, spa and walk-in- wardrobe. The guest bathroom features authentic clawfoot bath and light fittings that replicate the original gas fittings as well as original leadlight windows. The long wide central hallway also has many of the original photos on the walls which reflect the rich history of the house. The views from this level are unsurpassed and can be enjoyed from most of the upstairs rooms.
The downstairs was built to accommodate a number of children and features 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with travertine tiles, laundry, study nook and a huge entertaining area with 2 sets of timber folding doors which lead to an outdoor entertaining area and sparkling inground pool surrounded by outdoor travertine tiles. There is also another kitchen with granite benchtops and Miele appliances and a large folding window which can be opened to allow for easy entertaining. The bay views can also be enjoyed from the downstairs floor.
Property features include:
- Multiple open living and dining areas with spectacular bay views of Stradbroke and Moreton Islands from both upper and lower levels
- 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms (master with luxurious ensuite)
- Media room, billiard room, rumpus/games room, study and children's fort
- 2 kitchens with bay views - Miele/Ilve appliances, wine refrigerator and the highest quality cabinetry
- 3.3 metre ceilings, original VJ's, timber flooring, and claw foot bath upstairs
- Travertine tiling and granite bench tops
- Large in-ground resort style pool
- Long wide verandahs with kwila hardwood flooring
- Ducted air-conditioning
- 2 car garage plus carport
- Landscaped gardens
- Security alarm